Low-calorie snack ideas (printable)
Here are some great and yummy snack ideas. Remember that each snack item needs to be one serving. Avoid cooking in olive oil (use spray) and read labels carefully. 10-14 chips are usually a serving. Put all snacks you tend to over indulge with in snack bags with only one serving in them. Drink water between bites to feel full faster and avoid over eating (especially at snack time).
1. Yogurt parfait with greek yogurt and frozen (or fresh) fruit. Sprinkle with cinnamon for a dose of anti-oxidants. Avoid granola as it can be high in calories. If you must sweeten use agave not artificial sugars!
2. Medium apple and 1 string cheese
3. Smoothie with greek yogurt, frozen fruit, protein powder, fruit juice (try a carrot/orange blend) and ice. Add flax seeds, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast or all these above to make extra healthy. Add chocolate chips (about 10) to help curb a sugar craving.
4. Chips with lots of chunky salsa. Do not eat chips out of the bag. Pre-measure a serving.
5. Half a bagel with 1 tablespoon light cream cheese, thin slice of meat (or meatless meat), large slice of tomato, and onion (other favorite veggies.) Add an egg in place of cream cheese.
Pizza bread. Lots of pasta sauce, light shredded cheese, and veggies: mushrooms, tomato, spinach, onion, bell pepper, ect. Heavy on the veggies.
6. Pita pocket with hummus, lots of cucumber, tomato, sprouts (or lettuce/spinach) and thin slice of meat (or meatless meat)
7. 2 Hardboiled eggs
8. Banana and small yogurt
9. Small baked potato with cottage cheese, salsa and sautéed veggies
10. Sliced veggie platter with hummus
11. Protein bar
12. Fruit salad (watermellon is low calorie and high in water)